India consists of around thirty one per cent of people who are complete vegetarian and only nine percent of people who are ovo-vegetarian i.e. those who eat eggs but not meat. As per survey conducted by Indian Market Research Bureau in year 2015, around ninety one per cent of vegetarians are deficient of protein. It is just because their food contains lot of carbohydrates and sugar but lack protein.
Protein Rich Food for Vegetarian
Non-vegetarian gets sufficient protein from meat and fish but if we talk about vegetarian, they also have no less option for getting protein. Usually athletes and bodybuilders needs higher amount of protein for their muscle building, they usually add up vegetarian protein supplement in their regular diet. Some of the protein rich vegetarian food items are legumes, dairy food, dry fruit, Tofu, pumpkin seeds and peanut butter.
Some common types of legumes are such as peas, kidney beans, soybeans, peanuts, tamarind and lentils. Around half cup of legumes gives a round seven to nine grams of protein to body. Dairy food consists of milk, curd, cheese etc. These not only provides calcium to body but also protein. Dry fruits such as almonds, cashew are good source of protein. Around half cup of tofu provides around ten grams of protein whereas twenty eight grams of pumpkin seeds provides around seven grams of protein. Peanut butter is very tasty option for getting protein. Around two tablespoon of peanut butter provides eight grams of protein.
Related: Natural Sources of Whey Protein
High Protein Diet Plan for Vegetarian
Usually Indian diet plan consist of around four meals i.e. breakfast, lunch, tea time and dinner. While practising physical activities, body requires high protein diet. It is essential to fulfil body’s energy requirements. Here is given high protein diet plan for vegetarians-
- Breakfast - Morning breakfast should be good combination of protein and little carbohydrates. One can take a bowl of sprouted legumes such as peas and lentils along with fruits like bananas, apple etc. One Indian bread along with peanut butter or cheese is good option.
- Lunch - Lunch should be one of the heaviest meals of whole day and should consist of all nutrients. It should consist of one cup rice, two or three Indian breads, one cup lentils or soy, one cup curd or buttermilk, green vegetables or cottage cheese, seasonal salad. This amount of food for noon is best and is highly rich in protein.
- Evening Tea Time - In evening, dry fruits, nuts and pumpkin seeds are ideal to eat. They are highly rich in protein. In case, when a person does workout in evening, a protein shake should be included in diet.
- Dinner - Dinner is quite important for maintenance of insulin level and to avoid breakdown of muscles. Salad and chapatti along with pulses or lentils is sufficient for dinner. Rice must be avoided in night.
- Meal Before Bed - For keeping muscles in anabolic state in night, single scoop of casein along with a glass of milk is ideal to take.