Are you feeling bloated or have swelling or itching with no apparent reason? Well, this could be due to water retention, which happens due to many reasons. Leaving aside medical problems which we anyway cannot discuss, some simple problems also show similar symptoms.
Why Bodybuilders suffer more from water retention?
Muscles are made up of water. When bodybuilders indulge in strenuous exercises or lift weights, the muscles in the pipeline need water. Creatine naturally exists in our body and tries to push water towards the muscles. But when you drink less, our body assumes there is water shortage and holds whatever amount is available. Hence bodybuilders should drink at least 10-12 glasses of water.
Easy Solutions for ridding yourself of Water Retention
In simpler terms, Water Retention, or edema, occurs our body cannot flush excess water out. This trapped water causes swelling in the hands, legs, ankles, feet and the troubles start. The way out is to prevent water retention from happening in the first place. Let us get started.
- Maintain a regular routine and eat healthy, and exercise regularly so that all functions happen automatically and draining water is one of them.
- When lying down, raise your legs above your head so that gravity plays its role and pushes all water down. Now when later you bring your legs down, the blood circulation picks up and quickly improves your bodily condition.
- If you need to stand for a long time, wearing stockings can help your legs by increasing the pumping effect. Stockings, when you walk, contract and expand and thereby work like a pump and improve your blood circulation.
- Leafy veggies, whole grains, fresh fruits and foods having vitamin B & iron are naturally rich in antioxidants and they always rid your body of excess fluids. Nature always helps us maintain a harmonious life and this is one such example.
- Cold compresses using ice help your legs to draw out and relieve swelling. It relieves inflammation and stretching of the skin that is associated with edema. Wait for a few seconds before applying again, else excessive use of ice may itself start pain.
Food Items Help in Draining Out Excess Water
Many natural foods help you out in this tough situation. Most of them are available in our kitchen and can be used easily for some great results. Let us find more about them:
Chew a few teaspoonfuls and grind to a paste and swallow with water. Do it thrice a day and miraculously all your problems vanish.
Garlic is a wonder food having many fantastic properties. Chew a few pods very finely and especially raw. Do it three times a day and only after giving a gap of 10-15 minutes you can brush to get rid of the foul smell.
You can also conveniently mix it in soups, salads or any dishes or dressings. Needless to say, use this wonder herb any way you want, but use it for sure.
Fruits rich in Potassium: Bananas
This is a very important nutrient for our body. Potassium deficiency causes water retention, edema and weight gain too. It is essential proper functioning of your body’s cells, tissues and organs. Potassium is an electrolyte which keeps the equilibrium between sodium and water levels in the body. It stimulates the kidneys to flush out the lying waste and excess salt from the body.
Barley, the wonder food used by western countries
It is the proven home remedy for many. Barley is a diuretic and it is safe to use during pregnancy to reduce swelling. Many old timers swear by its diuretic property and use it very often.
Boil Barley in a vessel using three times water. Reduce flame once the concoction reduces to one-third and drink before it cools off completely. Drink it thrice daily and you will see some remarkable results.
Other than the reasons mentioned above, water also helps the liver convert fat into energy. Without the needed water quantity kidney can’t flush waste out from our body. Then it takes liver’s help which makes it overloaded there by its own functioning suffers. Liver may help the kidney but loses out on self work and bloating results.
Dry coriander seeds are natural diuretics of the first grade. They do contain potassium, vitamin A, C and K, folic acid, iron, riboflavin, thiamin, calcium, magnesium, niacin, vitamin B6, phosphorous, and zinc and many other micro-nutrients.
Boil the coriander seeds in water for about 10 minutes and drink the decoction. Do it twice-thrice and suddenly you will feel much lighter.
Lemon Juice benefits the Kidneys too
Lemon juice is an excellent diuretic and it helps drain excess fluid and from our body. Moreover it helps the kidneys to function properly too. The astringent type juice works best in warm water.
On empty stomach, drink one glass of lukewarm water mixed with juice of one lemon plus 1 tablespoon of honey added. Both honey & lemon work wonderfully together.
Bodybuilders sometime experience bloating and thus prevent them from exercising. These tips will help them bring their routine on track and not miss out much on getting their muscular body.